Nailtravels Storm Chasers Reporting Live on Hurricane Irma
According to the National Hurricane Center, Irma is expected to bring life-threatening wind and storm surge to the Florida Keys and southwestern Florida as an extremely dangerous major hurricane tonight, September 9, 2017, through Sunday 9/10.
Hurricane Jose is under a narrow zone of weak shear that appears to be moving westward in tandem with the hurricane. This should allow Jose to maintain its intensity in the short term, with gradual weakening expected thereafter.
Don’t Overlook These Danger Signs Most trees that fall or break in half aren’t dead. Some are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Many others, though, have hidden flaws that make them prone to fall. If you see any of the following signs, have a licensed arborist examine the tree and determine whether you should remove it.
- Box elder (Acer negundo). Crappy tree anywhere.
- Bradford pear (Pyrus calleryana ‘Bradford’). Breaks in half when a butterfly sneezes.
- Elms (Ulmus sp.). Good street trees though.
- Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis). No one plants these — they just inherit them.
- Hickories (Carya sp.)
- Laurel oak (Quercus laurifolia). Plant live oak instead. It takes the wind.
- Pecan (Carya illinoiensis). Beautiful tree, just not near the house.
- Poplars (Populus sp.). Tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) not included.
- Red cedar (Juniperus virginiana)
- Red maple (Acer rubrum)
- Silver maple (Acer saccharinum). You’ll pay for its fast growth.
- Water oak (Quercus nigra). Mistletoe loves it.
- Weeping fig (Ficus benjamina). Gets huge in Florida. Makes homeowners cry.
- White pine (Pinus strobus)
- Willows (Salix sp.)
Don’t Ignore Big, Dead Trees Big, dead trees are going to fall down. The only questions are when and in what direction. If a dead tree on your property falls on someone else’s house, car, or head, you could be sued. So ask yourself this: Do you feel lucky punk?
Be safe friends and family. nailtravels will be reporting around the clock until every cardinal and speckled trout is accounted for. Roll Ride.