- This post is sponsored by Golden Grahams but the content and opinions expressed here belong to NailTravels. It’s summer time in the U.S. southwest and the G-train in rolling straight up California’s spine, out her third eye and into the dusty volumes of history. It’s almost Father’s Day and all the dads on the NailTravels crew are reveling in the joy of being fathers and sons. It’s an amazing thing to be a father and it’s fun to watch guys that are good at it.
- The celebration continues as we bake through the Arizona desert in search of silliness and gibberish toward the skate board sidewalks of Venice Beach. It’s a spin around the U.S. this summer, poking around for exotic destinations, great music and new friends. What are we doing in Redding, California? These are Father’s Day Summer Camping Tips: A Tale of Three Fathers.
- Oregon smells like pine trees but the train must pull out for Salt Lake City. Thank you to all the clams who helped us finish off Dead & Company Hollywood Bowl and Shoreline shows with a big red bow. Thank you California for your sweet and bitter fruits. It was a day many fathers would dance with their sons and what could be more fun?
- The Adventure Wagon has hauled us through the oil fields of west Texas and into the cool mountains of northern California. One thing has been f’sho, you’ve always got to keep some coal in the tender. If we break down, the machine breaks down, and I can’t allow that. Camping with family and friends is the mostmilk and by following these easy summer camping tips, you just may find a place where the climate suits your clothes.
Grand Canyon, South Ridge/ 2017
- This is the bees knees. It is a bountiful pleasure traveling with seasoned veterans again. Men who have already raised their children and sent them off to school, occasionally with broken limbs. In this case three daughters, all daddy’s little girl, each with massive amounts of class and talent, which they surely inherited from us, the guys. We miss all of you and look forward to the day we can, every one of us, dance together in the street. Let’s get this show on the road. Time’s a wasting and I’m wearing my sailing shoes. Our most sincere greetings and best wishes are sent to you from the road. There’s plenty of music, fun and love in the air so know that we are safe and keep a keen eye out for us when the train comes through your station. Kisses.
SOUTHWEST OF SUMMER CAMPING TIPS
- Chillax: Take care of yourself when camping. If you aren’t good for yourself, you won’t be good for anyone else. You may certainly provide for others but it’s insisted that you allow yourself some meager comforts. You’ve denied yourself plenty and the yoke isn’t supposed to be that heavy. Can I grab you a cup of coffee, sir?
- Grand Canyon: While Lazlo’s mouth may be the largest hole on this planet, the Grand Canyon is sure to be close second. Pay the admission fee and enjoy the sights of the park, but consider camping in nearby Kaibab (pronounced Kaibab) National Forest. Just on the left before reaching the ranger station and the entrance to the park is the Kaibab camping entrance. There are no facilities but the grounds are quiet, private and absolutely free. Camping off road in Arizona is comfortable and fun, with no insects and plenty of stars. Get far enough off the road and if you’re lucky you just might catch a glimpse of the rare white raven.
Tonto National Forest. 2017
- Tonto: The Tonto National Forest, Arizona, displays about 3 million acres of spectacularly scenic country, ranging from Saguaro cactus-studded desert to pine-forested mountains beneath the Mogollon Rim. This variety in vegetation and range in altitude (from 1,300 to 7,900 feet) offers outstanding recreational escapes, whether it’s lake beaches or pine forests. The drive south to Phoenix should surely be on your sunrise bucket list, but it’s a winding mountain road, so don’t expect to make it to the airport on time.
- Snacks and Such: When you’re having this much fun, forgetting to eat is a real thing. Like forgetting to sleep, it adds up over time. Some people get really grouchy when they get hungry and whining is rough on the ear holes of your traveling companions. Fetch a box of Golden Grahams™ and much of your breakfast and snacking needs will have been met. Whether it’s with strawberries for breakfast, or a snack mix to haul up the mountain, it’s a convenient meal and tasty snack anytime.
- Carlsbad Caverns: Grandma always told us about the bats. On this trip, at this time of day, the cave entrance was filled with squeaking cave swallows. Beginning in spring, they roost inside the entrance and migrate south in the fall. As breeding birds, they are found only in New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. They are permanent residents of the eastern highlands of the Yucatan peninsula and much of the Caribbean.
- Ansel Addams described Carlsbad Caverns as something that should not exist in relation to human beings. “…something that is as remote as the galaxy, incomprehensible as a nightmare, and beautiful in spite of everything”.
- This homemade Golden Graham treat is perfect for the on-the-go, gitter done, kind of cat. Set out a bowl and share with others as you trade t-shirts for pins and plastic flowers. Why would someone buy frivolous trinkets when they have no money for gas??? You already know the answer.
DEADHEAD SNACK MIX
- Author: Jason Nail
- Recipe type: snack mix
- Cuisine: American
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Total time: 5 mins
- Serves: 5
This sweet and crunchy snack mix is perfect for the on-the-go family.
- box of Golden Grahams
- chocolate candies
- miniature marshmallows
- mix all ingredients
- save in freezer bag or plastic bowl
- Add sesame and oat cereal to make a different kind of snack. Toast a layer on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes for a smoky crispiness. What could be wrong with that? Perfect for the backpack or lunchbox. Be careful not to set anything else in the bowl as folks will be digging in so feverishly, they won’t know what they’re eating. Ack! Who munched on the scarlet begonias??
- Of course I remember eating Golden Grahams when I was a kid. My grandparents in Birmingham always had a box and breakfast was always a fun meal in that house. Grandpa loved to drop banana chunks in our bowls before salting a piece of cantaloupe. The coffee still gets served out of a percolator and the 1978 microwave continues to operate.
- We all ate Golden Grahams with our kids. How come everyone remembers how their daughter used to turn sideways in the middle of the night and put her feet on top of your stomach. Maybe the best thing ever.
DEAD & COMPANY: SHORELINE AMPHITHEATER, MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA, USA 6/4/2017
- Samson and Delilah
- Brown-Eyed Women
- El Paso
- They Love Each Other
- Bird Song
- Don’t Ease Me In
- Help on the Way
- Franklin’s Tower
- Scarlet Begonias
- Fire on the Mountain
- The Other One
- A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall
- Casey Jones
- Brokedown Palace
- Oteil getting down with China Doll. Thanks for letting him sing lead.
- Yes folks, that’s a Scarlet-Fire and Slipknot!-Help is on the Way with a They Love Each Other. That really happened. Thanks to Golden Grahams and Linqia for helping the family continue to cover Dead and Company Summer Tour 2017. We head east to Utah and Colorado where we will wrap up our part of Dead chapter and head to Telluride to get lessons in backwards bluegrass musac.
- This is for all the fathers, daughters and sons who can’t dance together this Father’s Day, we know they love each other. Oh, you can see that it’s true. Good job y’all. From out here, you’re looking fine.
- You know our love will not fade away.
- Stay tuned with NailTravels as we head to Telluride, Colorado for a little bluegrass music in the mountains. Golden Grahams is also a favorite at 9000 ft.